The England player said the decision was in the best interests of both parties following a months-long investigation into the alleged rape attempt.
Manchester United striker and England player Mason Greenwood will leave Old Trafford, the Premier League club have announced following an investigation into rape allegations he was cleared earlier this year.
“All those involved, including Mason, recognize the difficulties he faced as he began his career at Manchester United,” the club said in a statement on Monday.
“Therefore, both sides have agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to leave Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that.”
The 21-year-old striker has been suspended by the Premier League giants since January 30, 2022 for allegations involving a young woman after photos and videos were posted online, despite the criminal case. the has been stopped.
Meanwhile, in a statement to the media, Greenwood said the decision was part of a “collaborative process” between him, his family and Manchester United.
“The best decision for all of us is for me to continue my football career when I leave Old Trafford, where my presence will not be an inconvenience to the club.”
He is due to appear in court on November 27, 2023, but all criminal charges against him were dropped in February.
“Throughout the process, we took into account the wishes, interests and views of the alleged victim along with the club’s standards and values, and sought to reconcile as much as possible,” United said. information and context as possible”.
Greenwood said he “didn’t do the things that I was accused of.”
“However, I fully accept that I made a mistake in my relationship and that I am responsible for the circumstances that led to the social media post. I plan to be a better footballer, but most importantly, be a good father, a better person and use my talents in a positive way on and off the pitch,” he added. .
Greenwood started his career at United’s academy and played once for the England national team.