Observed every year on August 21 World Elderly Day organized to recognize the contributions of the elderly to society. In India, any person over the age of 60 is considered an elderly citizen.
The origin of this day can be traced back to the efforts of former President of the United States, Ronald Reagan. On August 19, 1988, President Reagan issued a presidential proclamation designating August 21 as National Aging Day in honor of elderly citizen in the country, while emphasizing the meaning of programs and policies that are beneficial to them. Over time, the celebration expanded globally with the arrival of World Elderly Day.
On this special occasion, we turned to an expert to share with us the possible challenges facing this demographic and the ways we can support this aging demographic. Go.
According to MP Deepu, Co-Founder, SeniorWorld, as the world celebrates World Elderly Day, the focus of attention is on the demographic trend that is reshaping society – the rapid growth of the elderly population. year old.
“In India, this transition is no exception as the number of elderly people continues to grow – marking the success of improving health care and increase longevity. With each passing day, this ever-expanding segment contributes to the nation’s rich tapestry, while presenting unique challenges that demand our collective attention,” he said.
Expert highlights various problems facing elderly in India, such as lack of access Quality healthcare and rising medical costs, limited income sources due to inadequate retirement and financial dependence, social isolation due to a declining social support system, and loneliness and mistreatment of people. aging, inadequate elderly-friendly infrastructure, difficulty in adapting to technology causing digital divides and poor housing and living conditions.
To solve these problems, MP Deepu said that caring for the elderly is a responsibility to call for compassion and support from the community. By engaging in simple but impactful actions, we can dramatically improve the lives of seniors, such as:
* Social interaction: Spending time with elders, Join the conversationand engage them in activities.
*support: Offer to help with tasks like buying groceries, paying bills, or running errands.
*Health support: Accompany them to medical appointments and make sure they are taking their prescription medication.
* Tech support: Help them learn to use digital devices and stay connected online.
*Moral support: Listen to their concerns, provide companionship and empathy.
*Safety Measures: Make sure their living environment is safe and free of danger.
* Awareness and sensitivity: Social education about Challenges older people face and encourage empathy.
* Community Initiative: Join or organize community programs for seniors, such as social clubs or health camps.
* Share skills: Encourage seniors to share their life experiences and skills with the younger generation.
* Policy advocacy: Advocate for elder-friendly policies and infrastructure in your community.
* Elderly care service: Support or volunteer with organizations that provide aged care services.
* Financial knowledge: Educate seniors about managing their finances and taking advantage of government programs.
*Educational Seminar: Organize workshops to help seniors learn about technology and other new skills.
Although community and individual efforts are needed to support the elderly, the Government of India has several measures to address the needs of the elderly. Here are the important steps the Indian government has taken:
Spend time with seniors, engage in conversations and engage them in activities. (Source: Freepik)
* Healthcare Initiative: Ayushman Bharat provides health insurance to vulnerable sections of society, including the elderly.
*Parents and Elderly Care and Welfare Act, 2007: This act is intended to ensure the maintenance and welfare of parents and the elderly by their children and legal heirs.
*Inpatient care: Nursing homes are established by both government and non-governmental organizations to provide care and support for elderly individuals.
* Offers and discounts: Seniors often qualify for discounts on public transportation, utility bills, and other services.
Aamir Khan showed up at my one-room kitchen in the middle of the night because he wasn’t happy with a scene: Mushtaq Khan
Live update announces Indian team at Asian Cup 2023: Shreyas Iyer-KL Rahul returns, Tilak Varma receives first ODI call
* Social security regime: The government offers various social security programs to provide financial assistance to the elderly.
“Let us recognize and celebrate the development of senior population while supporting innovative initiatives that pave the way for a more fulfilling future,” concluded MP Deepu.
📣 For more lifestyle news, follow us on Instagram | Twitter | Facebook and don’t miss the latest updates!